Thursday, May 1, 2008

Look at this little fellow!

Don't forget, you can click on the photos for closeups with lots of details!
Isn't he cute? He sat there and watched the river, ignoring me. I finally made kissing noises at him to cause him to look. All chubby and scruffy, he was too pudgy to be the lovely, sleek adult hawk we will find in a few weeks.
Strange bedfellows? I hope not. At first I thought I was seeing a common merganser and her mate. Just as soon as the drake turned into the sunlight, it was clear he was a mallard. No other ducks anywhere close. Just buddies, I guess.And finally, a green heron. Yeah, despite the reddish brown breast and neck, this is the common green heron. He refused to turn around for a shot of his back. He never took his eyes off me.

All in all, a very satisfying bird-watching week.

pb
Little Pond

1 comment:

Granny J said...

Lovely bird pictures -- especially the adolescent hawk!